New Community Corporation in Newark, New Jersey is one of the largest and most comprehensive community development organizations in the country; New Community’s success rests on its comprehensive approach to community development. It is active in housing, health care, education, job training, childcare and economic development. It has provided training to community development professionals from around the country and the world, having hosted representatives from more than 20 countries throughout the years. The mission of New Community is to help residents of inner cities improve the quality of their lives to reflect individual God-given dignity and personal achievement.
The Security Officer (SO) will be responsible for promoting the NCC mission in all service delivery, ensuring quality, professionalism and efficiency of the services provided. Responsibilities include maintaining a safe and secure environment for clients, residents, visitors, employees and surrounding public by patrolling and monitoring premises. The Task Force Officer will report to the Security Supervisor and/or the Security Operations Manager.
The primary purpose of this position is to secure premises and personnel by patrolling property; monitoring surveillance equipment; inspecting buildings, equipment, and access points, permitting entry, and enforcing all laws and ordinances on NCC property.
- Assist security officers with security of all NCC building properties
- Promptly and professionally greet all (residents, clients, visitors, employees) entering or calling assigned location.
- Conduct foot patrol of NCC properties.
- Conduct hourly rounds, as appropriate, to ensure that building occupants have a safe and pleasant experience. While making hourly rounds, check stairwells, fire exit fixtures, building structure and inspect windows and doors to ensure locks are in place and working, and report problems to the Security Supervisor.
- Monitor and authorize entrance and departure of employees, visitors, and other persons to guard
against theft and maintain security of premises.
- Maintain a shift log and write reports of daily activities and irregularities, such as equipment or property damage, theft, presence of unauthorized persons, or unusual occurrences, as well as all other required reports.
- Respond to crimes in progress.
- Respond to alarms and calls of distress; call base, police or fire departments in cases of emergency.
- Follow and understand the building’s Emergency Action Plan and evacuation procedures and carry out emergency procedures as necessary.
- Assist building occupants and visitors in exiting the building in the event of an emergency which may include lifting and carrying.
- Control traffic by directing drivers on company property.
- Enforce parking regulations on NCC property.
- Use radios and cell phones to stay in contact with security personnel.
- Prevents losses and damage by reporting irregularities; informing violators of policy and procedures.
- Circulate among visitors, patrons, and employees to preserve order and protect property.
- Maintain a flexible schedule as evening and weekend work may be required.
- Other related duties as required by Security Supervisor or Security Operations Manager.