Family Services Bureau
New Community Corporation
New Community Corporation in Newark, New Jersey is one of the largest and most comprehensive community development organizations in the country; New Community’s success rests on its comprehensive approach to community development. It is active in housing, health care, education, job training, childcare and economic development.
Under the direction of the Clinical Supervisor, the Bi-lingual Therapist will be responsible for providing direct clinical services; comprehensive assessments; treatment planning; individual, family, and group counseling; and facilitating linkages to treatment and other related services. The Therapist will also develop, monitor and provide the client and treatment team with a written schedule to update each client treatment plan(s) in order to ensure clients' needs are met.
- Assess the counseling needs of the clients
- Assess clients using the ASI or other standardized clinical interview tool, and diagnose clients for substance use disorder using the DSM-5
- Determine the appropriate level of care according to ASAM Criteria.
- Obtain previous records that are relevant to the current treatment episode
- Unless clinically contraindicated, collaborating with the client to develop a written treatment plan that includes goals and measurable objectives, and is client centered, recovery oriented.
- Provide the substance abuse counseling services specified in the client treatment plan.
- Review clients throughout the treatment episode according to the ASAM Criteria, to determine the need for continued services, transfer, or discharge/transfer;
- Review and, where necessary, revise the client treatment plan to address ongoing problems.
- Develop a client discharge/transfer plan to ensure movement to the appropriate levels of care.
- Contact, case consultation if necessary, and coordination with referral sources, (for example, mental health treatment providers, criminal justice agencies, schools, employers, DCPP). Participating as a member of a multidisciplinary team for assigned clients.
- Provide active case consultation.
- Document all counseling and education services, assessments, reassessments, referrals and follow-up in the client's clinical record, and provide appropriate signatures and dating of such entries, including those made in electronic records.