New Community Corporation in Newark, New Jersey is one of the largest and most comprehensive community development agencies in the country; New Community’s success rests on its comprehensive approach to community development. It is active in housing, health care, education, job training, childcare and economic development. It has provided training to community development professionals from around the country and the world, having hosted representatives from more than 20 countries in recent years. The goal of New Community is to help community residents improve the quality of their lives to reflect individual God-given dignity and personal achievement.
The Diesel Mechanic Instructor’s primary role consist of teaching students skills and techniques based on the program’s automotive curriculum using practical and classroom methods. He/she will monitor and motivate students to ensure they are given significant opportunity to succeed and excel in the program. The Instructor will also be responsible for assisting in the development of lesson plans, instructional materials and written and practical exams.
- Provide class instruction in accordance with established course outline
- Inform students via syllabus concerning course requirements, evaluation procedures and attendance requirements.
- Maintain and submit necessary attendance, scholastic & personnel records according to published deadlines.
- Prepare and grade class assignments and examinations (promptly) and return to students.
- Participate in faculty discussions on curriculum, teaching-learning techniques and teaching materials.
- Participate in the employer advisory committee meetings.
- Display an ability to interpret and evaluate diesel theories.
- Connect subject matter with related fields.
- Stay current in diesel/automotive advancements through professional development, involvement in professional organizations, and attending professional meetings, conferences, or workshops.
- Learn and use technology to enhance teaching and the educational experience when appropriate.
- Teach a course load appropriate to Diesel/Automotive discipline.
- Plan and organize instruction in ways that maximize documented student learning.
- Employ appropriate teaching and learning strategies to communicate subject matter to students.
- Modify, where appropriate, instructional methods and strategies to meet diverse student needs.
- Employ available instructional technology, i.e. the internet, tele-courses, interactive technology, when appropriate.
- Encourage the development of communication skills and higher order thinking skills through appropriate assignments.
Associate Degree from accredited college or university.