New Community Corporation in Newark, New Jersey is one of the largest and most comprehensive community development agencies in the country; New Community’s success rests on its comprehensive approach to community development. It is active in housing, health care, education, job training, childcare and economic development. It has provided training to community development professionals from around the country and the world, having hosted representatives from more than 20 countries throughout the years. The goal of New Community is to help community residents improve the quality of their lives to reflect individual God-given dignity and personal achievement.
The Receptionist will be responsible for demonstrating professionalism when executing clerical functions with record keeping, preparing office related correspondence, responding to callers, visitors and performing daily tasks for the sponsoring programs’ families, students and staff. This position will report to the Administrator of Harmony House and/or designated supervisor. The primary purpose of this position Serves visitors by greeting, welcoming, and directing them appropriately; notifies NCC personnel of visitor arrival; and provides office support activities for the department and/or managers and supervisors of the program.
- Welcome visitors and clients, receive and route telephone calls, and provide clerical support in an office or Harmony House.
- Welcomes visitors by greeting them, in person or on the telephone; answering or referring inquiries
- Direct callers’, clients and visitors to the proper staff member or supporting agency)
- Directs visitors by maintaining employee and department directories; giving instructions
- Monitor visitor access and maintain security awareness
- Verify clients with appointments are seated and promptly notify staff member of clients’ arrival
- Answers incoming telephone calls and provide relevant information, i.e. program description, services, and or direct to the appropriate staff member; may transcribe messages from telephone
- Perform varied clerical duties including typing, filling, opening and distributing mail and answering the telephon
- Preserves the confidentiality of files and other information in accordance with NCC’s policies and State laws/regulations
- Maintains safe and clean reception area by complying with procedures, rules, and regulations.
- Types all correspondence (agendas, letters, memorandums, training / staff meetings)
- Other related duties as required by supervisor
- Work and interact with departments throughout the organization
- Adhere to the Mission and maintains high standards
- Adhere to policies and procedures of New Community Corporation and Affiliates
- Preserve the confidentiality of files and other information
- Results driven, self- starter with high attention to detail and sense of urgency. Must also be highly customer- oriented.