Within the framework of the New Community Corporation’s Early Learning Centers’ Program’s purpose and philosophy, the Teacher Assistant is responsible to participate as an integral part of the teaching team for the purpose of carrying out the program as planned in cooperation with the Teacher, taking into account the social, cognitive and health needs of the children. This position will be shared on an on-call basis between both Early Childhood facilities.
- Work within the structure of the New Community Corporation to carry out the functions, policies and practices as established by the governing boards
- Meet with Pre-K Group Teacher each week to plan an age-appropriate skill-oriented curriculum based on subject areas.
- Is co-responsible in keeping materials and equipment accessible and in good condition to ensure maximum use by the children.
- Attend and participate in center-based events such as parent/staff monthly meetings and in-service trainings.
- Confer with appropriate staff in prearranged interviews to discuss specific progress of individual children.
- Cultivate and maintain a warm, professional working relationship between self, other program personnel, and parents and/or guardians
- Interact with children in a positive, warm and nurturing manner while maintaining a sense of humor with children.
- Pay attention to the children’s health, safety and general welfare at all times.
- Use songs, games, and teaching tools to prepare children for transition times such as: meal time, nap time, circle time, activities, going outside, bathroom, hand washing, departure etc. – use every opportunity to remind children of rules.
- Assist in the planning process of age-appropriate skill-oriented curriculum.
- Adhere to all DCPP Licensing Requirements by law.
- Feed the children and following each child’s individual feeding schedule as specified
- Diaper the children as necessary
- Assist the children in toilet training in keeping with the center’s toilet training policy
- Record any unusual incidents involving the children and ensure that parents are informed.
- Maintain appropriate staff/child ratio during daily indoor activities, playground and nap time.
- Keep parents informed of their child’s progress.